8.21.2010

Democracy

I love Joan Didion's style. I haven't read much by her and look to remedy that.

1. The way Democracy is narrated, with Joan Didion, author, being a person the characters interact with, makes the story feel like non-fiction. Very cool.

2. There is a fixation on certain details that feels realistic. Who ended up with Leilani Thayer's koa settee? (While reading this, I learned that my maternal grandmother's mahogany bedroom set is the bedroom set that my paternal grandparents had when they were first married. This movement of furniture seems important, and I like to know I'm not the only one who thinks so.) Other details fall away. The major cost of public life is memory, says Inez.

3. "'Anyway we were together,'she said. 'We were together all our lives. If you count thinking about it.'" Killed me.

No comments: