8.24.2010

Wishful Drinking (Mostly Quoting)

The reading list was getting heavy.

Months ago I read about half of Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking standing in front of the memoirs table at the bookstore because it was so damn funny. This is a quick read and I laughed out loud the whole time. Certainly, her life comes with a bunch of heavy topics--addiction, bipolar disorder, etc. All of it is approached with humor. I enjoyed the account of George Lucas' explanation of why she couldn't wear a bra under her white dress in Star Wars:
...I have a sense you will be going to outer space very soon, so here's why you cannot wear your brassiere, per George. So, what happens is you go to space and you become weightless. So far so good, right? But then your body expands??? But your bra doesn't--so you get strangled by your own bra. Now I think that this would make for a fantastic obit--so I tell my younger friends that no matter how I go, I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra.

That has to be the best-placed triple question mark ever.

I have to return the library book, but I wanted to hold onto this talk with her daughter:
"Well, baby--if you want to be a comic, you have to be a writer. But don't worry, you have tons of material. Your mother is a manic-depressive drug addict, your father is gay, your grandmother tap-dances, and your grandfather shot speed!"

And my daughter laughs and laughs and laughs, and I say, "Baby, the fact that you know that's funny is going to save your whole life."

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I love that book!