6.19.2011

House Made of Dawn

I should start documenting how books make it to my 'to read' list, because I no longer remember where I heard about House Made of Dawn or why I wanted to read it. This mystery made me keep reading even though I struggled through Part 1. I had no idea what was going on.

After finishing, I confess I don't know if I grasped the whole story. I wonder if I marked it to read because the writing about the setting is beautiful. I wonder if I marked it because it is very much Western. I wonder if I marked it because it's a poem-ish kind of prose.

I had a hard time with it initially. You have to be okay with a certain level of confusion, but several "WTF" moments get explained in future pages. I loved Part 3, told from Abel''s friend Ben's point of view ("He left today. It was raining, and I gave him my coat. You know, I hated to give it up; it was the only one I had.") I liked how characters' memories would creep into the narration and then take over.

All in all, my reasons for reading are hazy, my understanding is hazy, my feelings are mixed, but I'm okay with all of the above.

No comments: