6.20.2015

Grasshopper Jungle

The central question in Grasshopper Jungle is, “How could I be in love with a girl and a boy, at the same time?” The question is posed while the world is ending and the town is being devoured by giant mantises.

I landed on this book from delving into the NYPL's blog post, How did YA Become YA?. "The narrative voice can get awfully repetitive," (AV Club), and Shann is overlooked, but I remained drawn to the story.

"And no one knows what bisexuality is," and I don't claim to, but I think Austin comes close to describing it at times.

The Library of Congress classifications at the beginning of this book include 1. Survival - Fiction, 2. Friendship - Fiction, 3. Gender Identity - Fiction, 4. Family Life - Iowa - Fiction., 5. Insects - Fiction, so yeah, I was into it.

No comments: